Few things are as comforting on blustery winter days as a warm bowl of soup. Root vegetables like Potato Carrot Soup are low FODMAP, and help satisfy the carb craving that low temperatures bring on, while also being fantastic sources of nutrients like potassium, phosphorus, vitamin A, and B vitamins!
This rich, gluten-free soup includes unsweetened almond milk to avoid the lactose in cow’s milk, and also grated cheddar cheese, which is actually low FODMAP up to 1.5 ounces per serving! Because this recipe is for 4 people and includes 1 cup of grated cheddar ( approximately 4 ounces), it’s well within that limit, while still adding the earthy umami flavor and creaminess of the cheese.
For a low FODMAP, gluten-free vegetable stock to use in this soup, some options are Fody's Vegetable Soup Base or Massel's 7's Vegetable Stock Cubes, both of which mix easily with boiling water.
We suggest blending the soup before serving, for a smooth, silky finish, but if you prefer a more rustic, slightly chunkier soup, you can blend only half… that would be great as well!
Creamy Low FODMAP Potato Carrot Soup
Gluten-free, low FODMAP
- 3 tablespoons garlic-infused oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions or chives ( green parts only!)
- 5 large white or russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 cups Low FODMAP, GF vegetable stock ( like Fody's or Massel 7's)
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or pot.
- Add chives and saute until soft.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and paprika to the pot and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add low FODMAP vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add unsweetened almond milk, and blend to a smooth consistency with an immersion blender (or blend in batches using a blender, returning to the pot when smooth).
- Remove from heat, stir in grated cheddar and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley or and/ or extra chives. Enjoy!