There’s nothing in the world like the joy you get from your favorite comfort foods. You might think that, just because you’re on a low fodmap diet, that all your faves are out of bounds. Not a chance! We’ll help you FODMAP Your Favorites into easy-to-follow low fodmap recipes!
We asked, you answered!
For this edition of FODMAP Your Faves, we asked whether you’d like to see Pancakes, BBQ Ribs, Banana Bread, or Birthday Cake. Our winner is BANANA BREAD! Our culinary team got busy and created the perfect recipe for the fluffiest, low FODMAP, gluten-free Banana Bread out there. More than just a fan-favorite comfort food, Banana Bread was the baking craze of 2020. Now you can join in and make your very own loaf!
Are bananas low FODMAP?
The general answer is YES. But there are some signs that mean your banana is past ripe and no longer low FODMAP. Green? Great! Yellow? Good! Brown spots? Your gut might not be happy.
A note from Epicured Chef Shannon: Beating eggs and sugar for 7 minutes matters
I learned this cooking method from Chef Joanne Chang and it completely changed the way I bake! Beating eggs and sugar together is a key part of baking science. The reaction allows the cake to rise, fluff, and hold its structure. By beating for seven full minutes, the eggs will double in size, stay tender and moist, and rise well. It’s worth the extra effort!
Low FODMAP Banana Bread
Great for breakfast or a snack.
- Low FODMAP
- Nut free
What You’ll Need:
Makes 8 servings
1½ Cups Low FODMAP, Gluten-Free Flour
½ Cup Avocado oil or any neutral oil
1 Cup Sugar
250 Grams of Mashed Yellow Banana (about 3 small /medium bananas)
¼ Cup Lactose-Free Plain Yogurt
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
How to Prep
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift together the gluten free flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and the sugar. Beat with an electric mixer for about 7 minutes. Yes 7 minutes. Don’t cut this part short.
- Once the eggs and sugar are light and fluffy and a creamy consistency, slowly stream in the avocado oil while mixing on low speed. Add the oil in a slow and steady stream.
- Next add the lactose-free yogurt, mashed bananas, and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Next gently fold in the dry mixture. Be gentle and try not to mix.
- Pour into a loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour.
More FODMAPPED Favorites!
Low FODMAP Recipes: