If dreary winter weather and cold temperatures have got you down, and you’re dreaming of your next island getaway, bring the Luau to you! Try our easy low FODMAP Hawaiian shrimp kebab recipe!
They come together quickly and broil or grill in under 10 minutes for a crowd-pleasing low FODMAP dinner, any time of year. Sure to bust your winter blues, they’re hard to resist - colorful, festive, and packed with vibrant flavor.
This recipe uses a mixture of pineapple juice, sesame oil, low FODMAP BBQ sauce, and soy sauce, which is actually low FODMAP in low quantities, up to 2 Tbsp per person! If you happen to be gluten-free, avoid soy sauce, and opt for Tamari soy sauce instead.
If you plan to use metal skewers, make sure to have a potholder handy when you remove them from the oven. If you use wooden skewers, don’t forget to soak them beforehand to avoid burning under the broiler/ grill.
Low FODMAP Hawaiian Shrimp Kebabs
- 1 lb raw extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chunks of fresh pineapple
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1” pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce (or Tamari for a GF version)
- 2 Tbsp reserved Pineapple juice, from the can
- 3 Tbsp Fody Foods Low FODMAP Traditional BBQ Sauce
- Chopped green onions (green parts only)
- Lemon slices
- Steamed rice for serving
- To make your Hawaiian shrimp kabobs, heat a broiler on high, or a grill to medium-high heat (about 400 degrees F).
- If you’re using wooden skewers instead of metal, make sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes prior to skewering the shrimp.
- Whisk together the sesame oil, soy sauce, pineapple juice, and BBQ sauce.
- Thread the shrimp onto skewers, alternating with the pineapple chunks, red and green bell peppers. Brush kebabs with the BBQ sauce mixture.
- Spray some oil on the grill or broiler grates to prevent sticking. Grill shrimp uncovered, approximately 2 to 4 minutes per side. Shrimp should be opaque when fully cooked.
- Serve your low FODMAP Hawaiian shrimp kabobs with the remaining sauce on the side, a sprinkle of chopped green onions, lemon slices, and steamed rice.